Evening Prayer on the Second Sunday of each month at 3pm
Mrs Helen Barrass (Churchwarden) 01207 590986
Mrs Lynne Bean (Churchwarden) 01207 560238
Waskerley was built in the 1850s by the Stockton and Darlington Railway Company to house the workers who maintained the rolling stock to meet the needs of the mining industry which ﬂourished in nearby hills and valleys. At its height there were over 250 people living here with a school, Methodist Chapel and St. Matthew’s itself which was built in 1896. With the decline in mining much of the population dispersed to nearby Castleside and Consett in the 1960’s.
St. Matthew’s is a daughter, or Mission, church of Muggleswick Parish and is a simple church still lit by gas lighting. Surrounded by farm and moorland, it is a reminder of another era when local mining was an important part of the economy.